Monday, October 18, 2010

gorgeous weekend

Despite it being windy the weekend turned out much nicer then expected.  Sunday saw a high of mostly sunny 72.  That's about 10 degrees normal for the average this time of year.  Expecting rain the next couple days, but temps staying in the 60's and sunshine for the upcoming weekend.  Hope that forecast sticks, plan on moving some rock on Saturday.

I spent quite a few hours in the yard this weekend.  Putting down mulch, pulling weeds/grass, hauling some rocks and removing a lot of the sand and silt covering the yard  plants that I hadn't cleaned up after the flash flood.  I hauled many buckets of that dirt, using it to fill in where some of the bank has eroded .  doing this I discovered much more erosion then I knew about.  My holly bush (seen in the photos) has its roots exposed on the stream side.


 What a mess eh?  The area above the liriope will be planted next year. (where you see all the dirt)I've not decided with what yet.  I haven't even decided if that butterfly bush will stay or go.  This one gets very large and ends up hanging over my patio and gives too much shade to some plants. I may try to move it, then plant one or two of the compact types of butterfly bush.  Though I'd have to consider how the two on the hill are doing.  I've not been pleased with the performance of my 'dark knight' variety. My white compact bush did better, holding it's shape very nicely.  But neither of them bloomed as well as I'd like.   I like the big original buddleia, but it blocks off most of this garden from view when you sit in the yard.  I had started another one in the lower yard, but it got covered with about 2 ft of rock when it flooded.  If I transplant this one, and it can get established, I don't think that would happen.  I have a couple new plants coming up from this
also,  in case transplanting this one doesn't work out so well.   

The only odd thing here is that I now have a phallic symbol sticking out through the middle of my yard.  Either that or the middle finger.  Take your pick.  But that will be resolved once further planning in commenced!

I can't get over how much I had to scrape off the top of the yard.  I hauled a lot of buckets of sand.  Granted it doesnt' hurt to have it there (at least I don't think) the yard already gets a sort of humped appearance from the bank erosion, or from the force of the water against it when it runs high.  I'm not sure but I've noticed that it's worse every year. Which then forces any excess rain water towards the patio, and often will wash mulch onto the porch.  Eventually my patio needs replaced, as it has a growing crack in it. I'm hoping when they do it, they can set it on top of the existing patio and make it higher, as it's own slab.

In the below photo that brown thing to the left, where the marigolds are?  That used to be a light cover over the counter in between my living room and kitchen.  I put in pendant lights, and hated to throw that monstrosity out. I put in some rectangular planters and put in some herbs.  I'm hoping it will make it through one more season.   It's been out here a few years already.  Not bad for some cheap piece of wood that was meant for indoors.

For the past week I've been watching an injured goldfinch.  I'm impressed over his will to survive.  He's had to adapt to the loss of his complete tail.  When I first noticed him, he spent a lot of time running around  on the ground scrounging for leftover seed from the feeder overhead, next to the house.  He would run from me rather then fly, but eventually he'd manage to fly to a low branch.  Now he's become stronger and more adapt in getting from tree to tree. Poor thing has to flap his wings so much harder and faster.  How no hawk has gotten him yet is impressive.  You don't realize some times how much these birds use their tails.

Today I watched him come to the sock feeder. Usually they'll land at the top and sort of shimmy down.  He tried it, but couldn't make that sideways step without a tail for balance. He tried a few times, then flew off. I felt bad for him, until I watched him circle around, come back in and land closer to the seed.  He was a step or two off, tried to shimmy down, failed, and flew off again, circled and came back landing precisely where he could eat.  I wonder how long he can survive like this?  He has to be using so much more energy to fly, which means he has to eat more.

As you can see in this photo his entire tail is gone, not just some feathers.


He actually looks better then the first few times I saw him. I think he has also caught on that if he is brave enough to come when I'm out, he has the feeder to himself.  The instinct to survive is very strong isn't it?

Random shot of a black capped chickadee.


Little wren at the feeder.  taken from inside the house though.

I know I showed this some time ago, but not everyone has seen what I reference before...but this is the feeding station.  At the base I have planted a Dutchman Pipevine.  Hopefully by the end of  next  summer it will have reached the top.

Little Dude is still making regular visits...




No comments:

Post a Comment