Saturday, October 2, 2010

wow!

Starting off with the mundane...making you wait to see what the WOW is all about!

I found a home for a bunch of hosta plants.  I'd also replanted some under the red bud tree.  I dug up, split up, and moved the Autumn Joy sedum.  I hesitated doing it now but it was not a happy plant where it was, and I keep reading where it's a very forgiving plant.  So far it looks fine.  It will be nice to see how it fairs with better light.  I originally planted it a few years ago with absolutely no idea what I was doing. It said plant in full sun.  And I did that.  The problem was, my tree had not leafed out yet! hah!  So it ended up with too much shade. Live and learn!  So I'll transplant another hosta to the spot it held.

All this moving around is causing a lot of anxiety in one of the squirrels! The one seems ok with it, but the other, goes through all kind of gyrations when he sees a newly dug area, missing plants, etc.  He will come bounding across the yard and upon encountering the change will stop, his tail twitching spasmodically, put one paw forward, then pull it back, rock back and forth while stretching his neck to try to take a look or sniff without getting too close and to be able to make a fast escape. Often he just turns tale and runs back to his tree. He might manage to grab a peanut but it takes him several tries to actually pick it up. Runs like the devil is after him.  It definitely puts him out of his comfort zone.

Yesterday I heard one of the squirrels 'crying'. It went on for so long I decided to go out and see what was wrong.  He was laying high up on a branch across the stream with his tail up over his head. Usually when I've seen a squirrel like that, he's 'hiding' from a predator overhead.  But they usually remain quiet.  I couldn't figure out what was causing so much distress.  I did show him I had peanuts and he'd quiet for a bit and watch me throw one to the ground, then start that crying again. Once I threw a few more I came in the house and he quieted, assuming he came and got himself a treat and felt better. 

Hey I know it works for me!

You can tell it's October. There were 8 mallards out here today.

So here's my WOW moment for Saturday.  I was looking over my castor bean plants for any seeds that were drying. I looked down at my smallest Paw Paw tree and saw ....drumroll please....a caterpillar.  Not just any caterpillar. It was a Zebra Swallowtail caterpillar.  As you recall I had 2 brief sightings of the butterflies this summer.  I was so excited I ran into the house and called sister...breathless...just to share the news. She was almost as excited as I was!
Totally unexpected, especially since it's October, and I'm in Pennsylvania. It also survive the strong wind and rain the other day.   I also think there's at least one other egg on the plant. It looks like it has a bit of the red ring on it, so I might have to get my macro lens out and see if I can get a good photo of it.  Though tomorrow they are calling for more rain.



No comments:

Post a Comment