Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Quick! Before I forget!


As I've mentioned, this rock pile is very popular with Bob the chipmunk, but it is  favored among the small birds, particularly those that feed often on the ground.

When the birds are feeding on the ground and feel threatened, instead of flying up and across the stream to hide in the brush/trees, it's a shorter, safer trip to stay low and zoom to the rocks. And apparently it's a great place to perch and look around, without all the trees and brush obscuring their view.

Now if I ever get the permit to work on the stream, I'll feel guilty about taking their rock pile away, since it's intended use is IN the stream. These rock/stone comes from an old farmhouse that was torn down late last fall. My (crazy) neighbor asked if I wanted some and who can refuse free rock! He has it piled all over his yard, around all his plants. Rocks and bricks everywhere!

But really who knew what an asset this would be to so many critters on my yard!  So if you have some space, create a rock pile and see who visits. Once it warms up, I wonder if I'll get to see any snakes sunning themselves on the rocks!

Half my readers just went ohhhh and the other half went ACKKK!  What side are you on?!?

have a great night!

PS does anyone have a difficult time reading this with the change of colors and layout?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Tina,
    I enjoyed reading about the neighbor, rocks, critters and such. I am with the ohhh group when it comes to the snakes. I like to see them rather than come upon them by surprise. I am thankful for the garter snakes in my yard, but can't say that in front of my next door neighbor. She was mad at me for awhile because of posting photos of them in my blog. She doesn't want them encouraged to be around because she is afraid of them, and one or two have gotten into her house in the past. She called me a "snake lover". LOL

    I like this template and have no difficulty with the colors. You could go into the advanced layout section and increase the size of the font a little, though.

    ReplyDelete