Tuesday, August 3, 2010

No pics this time....

The past few days I've been hearing an unusual bird sound. Very rapid rattling, or like staccato of machine gun fire.  Fairly loud too.  I'd looked but didn't see the owner of the sound.  Until this morning.  Just gotten home from work, getting out of the car when I heard it.  and it was getting closer. Then it flew onto an overhead wire, flung it's head back and let loose with more rapid vocalizations.  I wish I knew what it meant!  Was it happy?  Was it a warning? Was it calling for a mate?  With it's head back so far I didn't get a good look at it...but I had my suspicions of what it was. I admit I stood looking at it, my mouth hanging open in wonder for a few seconds. Then it flew off.  ARGH!  So I headed into the house, anxious to confirm what kind of bird it was, when I heard it getting close again.  Grabbed my camera out of the bag...but I could find him.  TEASE! 

I'd seen this bird here once before. Last year? maybe the year before :D  Don't rely on my memory.  Regardless it was a Belted Kingfisher.  Yea for me! I didn't see any rust color on the breast so I'm guessing it was a male.  I hope he comes back and gets comfy here along the stream...at least long enough for me to get a photo of him!

The day can't seem to make up it's mind whether to be cloudy or sunny. They are calling for storms at some point today. It certainly is humid once more.

I did cut a lot of herbs for the 3 bunnies. Pineapple sage (I think I called it mint the other day) Chocolate mint, mint, basil, cinnamon basil, lavendar, lemon balm. And some marigolds.  HoneyBee was fussy about what she wanted, and wouldn't just pick from the pile. I had to show her each one. And she'd only eat one thing of each, turning her nose up at the marigolds and lavendar.  Of course it's a different story with Sweetpea.  He will grab onto anything I bring to him, and if he can he will try to scarf up as much as he can at once, just to keep Star from it.  Star took her time, sniffing all that was offered before selecting some lavendar.  Very ladylike.  But believe me, she's not so lady like when it comes to treats like carrot, broccoli, cereal, or papaya tablets.

My obedient plant continues to fill in with blooms. Very pretty.  I've read where some people complain that it has an almost invasive quality.  I hope so, I want it, and as many plants as possible to fill in on the bank.

I don't have a lot of time to spend in the yard today..or rather I 'shouldn't'  (just covering it in case I get lost out there!) Tonight is National Night Out and Shiremanstown Fire Co is having an open house that I will go help with and take photos for them.  then I'll have to go right to work so I need to fit a nap in here somewhere today.  It's already 10:40am.

I think I need a day where it just rains and rains. Yesterday it sprinkled a little..not enough for the yard, and not enough to get me inside. Today might be a good day to take inventory of everything I have planted.

No comments:

Post a Comment