Tuesday, August 17, 2010

big frass...

In amongst the mud that was my yard, this yellow caterpillar caught my eye. so bright and pretty. I took a couple photos, ran inside to identify it.  It amazes me that something so pretty turns into something so ... bland and colorless.
Here it is ...curled up defensively.  It is the cat to the American Dagger Moth.



Anyhow, as soon as I found out what it was, I went back outside and it was GONE.  I assume it was a treat for some bird.  I wasn't gone long enough for it to have gotten very far! And I had walked away from it for a bit earlier, came back and it was still there...so...he was someones snack I'm sure!

This has been the summer of hummingbird moths in my yard!

It's good to see the Monarch back after the flooding. Hopefully more eggs too!

The caterpillars that I can find, looks like I still have at least 6 surviving.  They have grown since yesterday and are eating voraciously! And their frass is HUGE.  So much easier to find them!


The one below with all the mud on the swamp milkweed was one that had been buried in the muck from flooding.
hungry!









This morning I was chasing around a little cloudless sulphur for a photo


1 comment:

  1. Excellent photographs. I've never seen an American Dagger Moth before. Gorgeous. These great pictures make me think that I need to get a better camera!

    ReplyDelete