Monday, February 21, 2011

one eyed squirrel and other stuff

Recently at my son, Ben's,  I noticed a squirrel behaving oddly.  It was at the bottom of the tree and he was jumping straight up and down on all four paws as though he was on a trampoline. Then he climbed very slowly up and around the tree. Then I noticed that one of his eyes was bad.  I mentioned it to Ben and he said that squirrel had been around since last Spring.  I was amazed at it's survival.  Ben told me that one time walking through the yard, texting, he didn't see the squirrel, and the squirrel didn't see him...until the last moment before being stepped on it moved and startled Ben.  You know that's one of those moments you wished you could have seen for yourself! I know, a cheap laugh...but still...a laugh!

Because the squirrel, like bunnies, have their eyes set back, so they can better see anything coming up or over on them. Survival!  But they have trouble seeing anything directly in front of them. So a one eyed squirrel has limited range of sight. I'm impressed that this squirrel has survived this long.  It was interesting to see how he got around.  Slowly but accurately.  He did appear to be smaller then most the squirrels around there.

Oddly enough, right after that I discovered I too had a one eyed squirrel in the yard!  Actually I first saw it across the stream.  There were two squirrels slowly climbing up and around a tree, which is what caught my attention.  I'm used to seeing them scurry quickly, racing up and down the trees and chasing each other.  Not these two.  I watched as one would start out onto a very thin branch, then back up.  At one point one of the squirrels butted the one in front of it, startling and making it jump.  Having just seen the one eyed squirrel at my sons, I paid closer attention.  Eventually the one made its way over the the tree in my yard and I could see he didn't have any sight in his right eye.  What were the chances!  He made his way to the feeder where there is an ear of corn. But he was cautious and suspicious.  I don't know if he realized I was out there, or he just wasn't sure, but he ran across the branch and made the jump onto my roof, like all the others do.

Now I'm left to wonder about the 2nd squirrel. Was he also sight impaired, or was it helping the other squirrel navigate the area and learn where things are here?


That was the only time I'd seen it until today. I'd fed the birds and ducks, then had to come in the house for the peanut butter (for the wren, mockingbird, and woodpecker of course). When I went out, there the squirrel was at the corn feeder.  His bad eye towards me, so I got my camera and took a few photos then quietly walked closer and closer.


Then he cautiously ran over the big branch and hopped onto the roof.  Then across the shed which startled all 73 ducks this morning making them all fly into the stream.  You'd think they'd be use to this by now!

I've been participating in the Great Backyard Bird Count. (GBBC)  I'm glad Friday was so unseasonably warm at 70F! That made for a good count, which included a blue heron and a coopers hawk.  Saturday was so blasted windy and cold, the numbers were down for even the most common of birds here (goldfinch).  It was so windy it ripped the Verizon FIOS box right off the pole.

Sunday was another cold one and still breezy. Overnight we had some freezing rain and snow, possibly more snow tonight. I haven't watched the yard much this morning other then feeding time, so maybe this time I'll choose to do the count later in the day and find something interesting, or closer to normal.  Though as I've said before bird numbers are definitely down here all winter long.

I hear a crow cawing...reminds me I want to post some photos and video of some crows.  But I will have to do another post with content warning for the faint of heart. 

I was glad to see the downy woodpecker this morning. He must have been hungry because he didn't mind me being out there today.
The wind had knocked over my feeder station a few times this weekend, even after I anchored it with rocks. Which then knocked out the peanut bell out of its holder and some critter apparently carried it off, because I never did find it.  The seed bell was still there though.  The goldfinch didn't care that their feeder was on the ground, they were happily picking out their nyjer seed.

Friday when it was so warm I found this on the peanut feed bell. Not sure what it is, only that it isn't a wasp and not a mud dauber.

I can't resist taking any photo of a chickadee!


 Got this goldfinch just as he was taking off


The full moon pics I took on my way home from work the other morning.



Yesterday Sister and I were out and about and I wanted to show her the cutest little bungalow I wanted to buy...but it was already sold...and we ended up going down to the river. It isn't pretty in the winter!  The only birds we saw were sea gulls.  They would fly up the river, land in the water and float back down maybe a mile, then fly back up and start all over again.  Not a bad way to spend the day, floating on the river, if it was 50 or 60 degrees warmer!



We had to walk through this railroad underpass. Rather creepy and makes one wonder how long it will hold up!  :)


till my next post!!

No comments:

Post a Comment